How can I receive notification about an offender in prison or on parole supervision?

Victims, their family members, witnesses and concerned citizens may request notification through the IVSS portal ( or by contacting the Victim Services Division at (800) 848-4284, or 8712 Shoal Creek Blvd., Suite 265, Austin, TX 78757-6899.

What types of notifications are available?

Notifications include notice of an offender’s parole eligibility, Board of Pardons and Paroles decisions, release to and return from Bench Warrant, discharge dates, release from prison, along with many other notices. Any information you supply will remain confidential. Notifications can be provided by email, letter, text message or phone call.

How do I obtain offender information after business hours?

Offender status information can be obtained through IVSS ( or by calling (800) 848-4284. In addition, offender status information is available at

What is the difference between registering with VINE and registering with Victim Services through IVSS?

The Victim Services Division provides comprehensive written notification while an offender is in the custody of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and while on parole/mandatory supervision. These notifications are provided through the Integrated Victim Services System (IVSS). Victim Information and Notification Everyday (VINE) provides notification on offenders in county jails in many counties in Texas. For information about county jail notifications, please contact the county or 1-877-TX4-VINE.

What are my rights as a crime victim?

Victims of crime are guaranteed certain rights and participation in the criminal justice system under Texas law. The Crime Victims’ Rights are found within the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure arts. 56.01-56.021 and the Texas Constitution Article I Section 30. A listing of these rights can be found here:

In order to exercise your rights as a crime victim it is necessary to contact crime victim service providers to discuss and request, if applicable, your rights and available services. Your local district or county attorney’s office, law enforcement agency, or supervising agency (probation or prison) have crime victim service providers and staff available to assist you.

If you have any questions regarding these rights and how to exercise them, please contact the Texas Department of Criminal Justice Victim Services Division at (800) 848- 4284 or

I was previously registered with Victim Services and/or VINE. Will I continue to be notified in IVSS?

Previous registrations with Victim Services have been migrated to the Integrated Victim Services System. Registered victims were contacted regarding their new IVSS portal account by letter and/or email. If you do not have your login information, you may contact the Victim Services Division at (800) 848-4284 to obtain your account information.

If you were previously registered with VINE and your offender has been transferred to TDCJ custody, please create a portal account and register for notifications. If you have any questions please contact the Victim Services Division.

Will I still be notified after an offender is released from prison?

If the offender is under supervision by the TDCJ (parole or mandatory supervision), you will receive notice in the event there is a warrant issued for an alleged violation of the terms of supervision.  Notifications regarding the status of any warrant actions will also be provided.  If the offender you are registered for returns to TDCJ custody post release, you will receive notice of that return and future status changes

Important notice about text messages:

You may update your preferences for all types of notifications, including text messages, on the ‘My Dashboard’ page by viewing the details for each offender registration. This is the easiest way to make changes to how you receive information from the Victim Services Division. Please note that responding to text messages sent by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice Victim Services Division with the words ‘Unsubscribe’, ‘Cancel’, or ‘Stop’ will cancel your registration for text notifications and you will not receive text messages in the future. Text ‘Resume’ to 512-540-4951 to resume receiving text messages.

Does our office have an account to make HB 104 submissions? What if we don’t have an IVSS Portal account?

Generally, a single person will be responsible for making submissions for each office, although larger offices may have multiple individuals who can make HB 104 submissions. You may contact our office (800-848-4284) to check if you have an account and create an account, if required. If you know you do not have an account with us, you may create one through the IVSS Portal website and then request Justice Official Access under the Request tab.

Offender Family Members:

Frequently asked questions for offender friends and family can be viewed here:

Offender family members that are not victims should not register. Registering for notification through this page may affect your ability to sign up for the Offender Telephone System. Information regarding this offender can be found at